Sunday, July 16, 2006

First pic

The rumors are true. We are in England, but I assure that we have been well treated. Patrick's aunt, our generous host, prepared a great lasagna last night (low fat too). She also made up some fried eggs and ham for breakfast, which I consumed after waking up around 2 this afternoon. It really was the best sort of day to sleep through-bright, sunny and warm.

We took the train into London today and met up with Emily. After sitting in the park for awhile, we went to a restaurant in Chinatown for some incredibly good food. Crispy beef, black bean chicken, hot and sour soup, duck with pancakes and some of the best sweet and sour I've ever had, on pork ribs.

Other than not being able to walk on the grass at the 'college' (it has members and doesn't offer classes) and Emily being picture-happy, today played out quite well as an excuse for avoiding anything rally-related.

While stopped at a rest area during the search for High Street in Abington, we discovered a local restaurant chain here called KFC. They sell the most incredible item, called popcorn chicken, and there's nothing quite like it after 48 sleepless hours. Despite my encounter with this new cuisine, my experience with England's road system has perhaps ended my love affair with the country. The British fondness for the roundabout has made me question all claims made towards the advancement of civilization.

Before I'm deported for being overly critical of the road infrastructure, I'll post the first pic of the trip. This moment occurred around 600 miles west southwest of Ireland as dawn broke over the Atlantic and after the man in the row in front of us had finished watching Unforgiven on his laptop. Thank you, man. It really helped me manage the period halfway through Bringing Up baby into the first part of the time when there were no more good programs available on the entertainment system.

4 Comments:

Blogger Patrick said...

That look in my eyes! As if to say, "Wait, shit! We're going WHAT exactly?"

4:12 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

it's supposed to be 33 on wednesday! have fun with that!

9:03 AM  
Blogger Beaulaurier said...

oh god, my jealousy knows no bounds. I'm tempted to buy a Vespa and be an unofficial rally tag-along. Are you by any chance going through Paris? It'd be great to see you guys and lay eyes on the micromachine that's going to take you to the other side of the world.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Awesome. My internet is finally up and running, which is how I saw that Patrick's AIM status is currently "Be Right Back."

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home